Friday, May 24, 2024

Principal Wardle's Weekly Blog 05/24/24

 Friday Focus:  Class of 2024 Commencement Ceremony

Congratulations to the Class of 2024! Here are some photos from Senior Day and Wednesday’s Commencement Ceremony.


CLICK HERE for the recording of the Class of 2024 Commencement 

CLICK HERE for the recording of the 2024 Principal’s Awards Ceremony

CLICK HERE for the recording of the 2024 Spotlight Assembly


The Bison Impact:

  • Congratulations and good luck to Anthony Bernardo and Riley Wold competing at State this week for Boys Track & Field!

  • Congratulations to Buffalo Grove junior Liv Lindstrom on being named to the 2024 All-Sectional Team by the Illinois Girls Lacrosse Coaches Association!

  • Congratulations to Girls Soccer’s Taylore Camel on being named  All-Sectional!

  • Congratulations to Girls Soccer’s Emily Aparicio Bahena on being named All-Sectional Honorable Mention!

  • Congratulations to Girls Soccer’s Hannah Glanz on earning All-Sectional Sportsmanship Award!

  • Congratulations to Girls Soccer’s Olivia Larkowski on being All-Sectional All-Academic!

  • Congratulations to freshman Emily Chen who recently won the Bronze Medal with her Chamber Music Quartet at this year's Fischoff National Chamber Competition, the nation's premier competition in classical chamber music.  The competition is held annually at Notre Dame University. https://www.fischoff.org/


Final Exam Schedule and Information


Arlington Heights Library Finals Study Lounge

Take advantage of the Finals Study Lounge at the Arlington Heights Library. The library will provide brain-powering snacks, laptops and group study areas. See the dates and times listed below.


Upcoming Dates

Date

Event

May 29

Final Exams - Blocks 1, 2 and 3 CLICK HERE for Final Exam Schedule/Info

May 30

Final Exams - Blocks 4, 5 and 7 CLICK HERE for Final Exam Schedule/Info

May 31

Final Exams - Blocks 6 and 8 CLICK HERE for Final Exam Schedule/Info

Last day of school

June 1

2024-25 online registration begins 

NOTE: The online registration must be completed for ALL students EVERY year, including incoming freshmen who “enrolled” earlier this year.

CLICK HERE for information and to register

Summer office hours June 1- August 2

Monday thru Thursday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm

June 10

Summer School Session 1 Begins (June 10th-27th) Click HERE for information

June 19

All District 214 buildings closed

July 4

All District 214 buildings closed

July 8

Summer School Session 2 Begins (July 8th-25th) Click HERE for information



Moving out of the BG attendance area this summer?

If you are moving out of the BG attendance area, please have your student come to Student Services to pick up a Withdrawal Form by May 28th. This form must be filled out and signed by the student, parent/guardian, and several departments at BG.  All electronics, books, and equipment must be returned and outstanding fees paid before transfer records are sent to your new school.  Thank you!


Staff Retiree Spotlight - Rob Hartwig

What is your name? Rob Hartwig


What department have you taught in/ How long have you been teaching at BG? I have been an administrator at BGHS for the last 17 years.  I have been the APO and APSS.  When I began my teaching career back in 1991, it was as a biology teacher.


What courses have you taught in your career? Biology and an interdisciplinary course of biology, social science and English.


What part of the career of teaching have you found the most rewarding? I have found the friendships that I have built with staff and students throughout the years to be the most rewarding.


What activities or clubs have you coached/ sponsored? I used to coach girls basketball and softball.


What are you most looking forward to in retirement? In retirement, I am most looking forward to spending more time with my family. Every day for the last decade I have gotten up at 3:45 am to start my workout before coming into work.  I will no longer have to get up that early and I will be able to sleep in a bit.


Staff Retiree Spotlight - Ronna Pflanz

What is your name? Ronna Pflanz


What department have you taught in/ How long have you been teaching at BG? I am a Culinary & Fashion Teacher in the CTE Dept. I have started and am now ending my 30 year career at BGHS!! I have literally never worn any other colors than BLUE and ORANGE! However, I did not start my career as a teacher, it began in the Fashion Industry. I have held MANY positions in the Fashion field, loving all of them. Mostly I enjoyed assisting a designer as a sample maker and working with them, side-by-side to make their ideas come to life! I also LOVED when I was tasked with teaching the construction teams to put together the garments in the most efficient, quality conscious way. That opportunity literally led me back to college to become a teacher of high school students.


What courses have you taught in your career? I have created and taught a total of 14 different courses in my career and have been the assistant Daycare Director for many early years. I have LOVED them all...but my most favorite being Bison Inn, ProStart 1 & 2 and ALL of my Fashion Classes. I hold degrees, minors and endorsements in: Culinary, Fashion, Psychology, Child Development, Consumer Education and Nutrition & Fitness. I am also a certified Special Ed teacher and thoroughly enjoy teaching these students life skills needed as an adult, but also career pathways to provide for themselves and family.


What part of the career of teaching have you found the most rewarding? The MOST rewarding part of my career has been when I set high standards for ALL students and watch them either meet or exceed those expectations. I strive to provide students a safe environment where they feel seen and heard. I set them up for success and am fair and firm. Not only do I focus my teaching on my content areas, but I also feel responsible for making sure that all my students have the skills and the empathy to be mature, responsible, accountable adults. Having students come back to visit or contact me and to hear about all they have experienced, become. and have accomplished is the reason I became a teacher in the first place.


What activities or clubs have you coached/ sponsored? I have coached BGettes (our "past” competitive dance/drill team) taking 5th at State, piloted and created the Dual Credit ProStart program for District 214, created by the National Restaurant Assoc. I have sponsored over 100 ProStart luncheon/events in and outside of our building and within all areas of District 214. I have also competed with a team of ProStart students at the State level taking 2nd Place.


What are you most looking forward to in retirement? No more grocery shopping for culinary classes!!!!! 🤪 But mainly spending wonderful days living at my lake house, focusing my attention on my special needs adult son with Autism. I hope to use 30 years of skills and knowledge to help him become his best self as an adult. I can only hope that he (one day) will be able to live without me in a group home. Thank you BG for the wonderful career that I have had and for the opportunity to be part of your children's lives. It whole-heartedly means the world to me.


Bison in the News

Chicago area high school using AI to help students become future teachers

CBS News Chicago, May 17, 2024

CBS News Chicago interviewed BGHS teacher Tim Kosiek and his Education Pathway students. CLICK HERE to Watch the Story


Photo Gallery: Buffalo Grove, Rolling Meadows, Fremd, Hersey and Prospect graduation ceremonies

The Daily Herald, May 23, 2024

CLICK HERE to view the Daily Herald photographs from the BGHS Commencement Ceremony



CLICK HERE for D214 Summer Experience information

The D214 Summer Experience - Summer Courses and Athletic Camps

Check out the D214 Summer Experience website for detailed information including the program overview, course offerings and descriptions, costs and transportation information, and Information on summer athletic camps. CLICK HERE for information and registration on the D214 Summer Experience. CLICK HERE for summer athletic camps information.



Need a job that works with your kids’ schedules?

Come work with us!

D214 has immediate openings for food service workers. Enjoy 5-hour work days and shifts end at 2pm! Apply now: http://links.d214.org/foodservice


Students Looking for a Job?

CLICK HERE for the BGHS Job Board. Check back often for updates and new postings.


Looking for More?

Click Here for the BGHS Website

Click Here for the 4th Quarter Parent Newsletter

Click Here for the BGHS College & Career Website

Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar

Click Here for the New Bell Schedule

Click Here for the Blue & Orange Day Calendar

Click Here for the D214 School Calendars

Click Here for D214 Food Services Information

Click Here to Join/Support the Buffalo Grove H.S. Parent Groups

Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger

Click Here for the Unspoken Herd Podcast

Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information

Click Here for the BGPA Bison Spiritwear online store