Saul Ploplys Automation Lab Grand Opening
It was great to have Fox 32 at BGHS to explore the new technology and innovation lab in honor of teacher Saul Ploplys. Such exciting and inspiring opportunities for our students! CLICK HERE to watch a clip from the Fox 32 broadcast
The Bison Impact:
- Congratulations to our staff awarded for their Outstanding Contributions to Education at our annual Salute to Staff this week. Congratulations Elizabeth Bennett, Robin Christie, Miguel Parra Garcia, Joe Puzzo, Chet Pierce, Stefanie O’Neill, Jeanne Shin-Cooper, Eloy Perales, Mike Garofola, Phil Tschammer, Julie Chybicki-Zimmer, Debbie Jacks, and Henry Kappler!
- Congratulations to our 36 DECA State qualifiers! State Qualifiers: Principles of Business Management & Admin - Minjin Khuchitbaatar (3rd Place); Principles of Finance - Dan Feder (1st Place), Peter Baker (3rd Place), Mia Shiakallis (3rd Place); Principles of Hospitality & Tourism - Lola Geraghty (1st Place), Emily Antonetti (2nd Place), Anna Lang (3rd Place), Veronika Manukian (3rd Place); Principles of Marketing - Patrick Knauf (1st Place), Christine Yuan; Automotive Services Marketing - Alex Dahl (3rd Place); Entrepreneurship (Individual) - Pam Bolis (1st Place); Food Marketing - Matt Allaire (3rd Place); Hotel & Lodging Management - Angelica Groszek (3rd Place); Retail Merchandising - Anjali Subash (1st Place); Sports & Entertainment Marketing (Individual) - Tyler Kipley (2nd Place); Buying & Merchandising Team - Zori Angelova & Alannah Rodrigues (1st Place), Sydney Jackson & Ryanne Lee (2nd Place); Financial Analysis Team - Madison Morelli & Dagmara Sobolak (3rd Place); Hospitality Services Team - Maddie Morrison & Rachel Sowa (1st Place), Nick Krolikowski & Isaac Wahout (3rd Place), Frank Adams & Alex Solberg (3rd Place); Marketing Management Team - David Lender & Sanskar Siddarth (1st Place), Bella Larkowski & Andi Yeverino (2nd Place); Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team - Jake Salzman & Noah Smith (1st Place); Travel & Tourism Team - Sophie Veytsman & Alyssa Weede (1st Place).
- Congratulations to our talented Band students on their exceptional performance at the Concert Band Festival this week!
- Congratulations to the Boys Basketball team on a great season. They set many records this year. Our varsity team set the school record for made 3s in a season with 236. They also set the record for the highest free throw percentage in a season with a 75.2%.
- Congratulations to Varsity Basketball player sophomore Kam Craft on setting the single season scoring record at BGHS. He finished the season with 753, breaking a record that was held by Brian Coderre for 36 years!
- Congratulations to senior Rachel Sowa on winning the Thomas Middle School “Pride of the Wolf Pack” $750 scholarship. This scholarship award was open to any high school senior who is an alumni of Thomas Middle School. Students had to submit an essay and video explaining how their experiences at Thomas helped them to prepare for future success. Two winners were chosen and were judged by current school faculty and administrators. Students from Hersey, Buffalo Grove and St. Viator competed.
- Last weekend Model UN attended LYMUN, their last conference of the year. Congratulations to Andrew Cochrane for winning Honorable Mention! Also, a big thanks to all the 2019-2020 BGMUN members for working hard and having a great season!
- Congratulations to the BGHS Math Team on winning second place in conference and qualifying as a whole team for the State championship based on their regionals performance!
- Shout out to the Boys Gymnastics team for volunteering at the Special Olympics gymnastics meet last week!
CLICK HERE for a paper copy of the BGPA Scholarship Application.
CLICK HERE for the link to the Naviance page. Login is required.
BGHS in the News
Buffalo Grove High opens robotics lab named for retired teacher
The Daily Herald, March 7, 2020
Buffalo Grove High School on Friday officially opened its state-of-the-art Saul Ploplys Automation and Technology Lab, named after a now-retired AP Physics teacher at the school and made possible by a $1 million donation by one of his former students. Steve Yacktman, a member of the Class of 1988, made the donation for the lab with his wife, Ellyn, last summer. Read Story
Grand Opening On Tap For Buffalo Grove Robotics Lab
Journal & Topics, March 5, 2020
Robotic instruments await in the new Automation and Technology Lab at Buffalo Grove High School. Township High School Dist. 214 and its Education Foundation will celebrate at 4 p.m. Friday, March 6 the grand opening of the Saul Ploplys Automation and Technology Lab at Buffalo Grove High School. The state-of-the-art lab is named in honor of a longtime Buffalo Grove AP Physics instructor and was made possible by a $1 million alumnus donation. Read Story
Grammy-nominated teacher using prize money to launch charity initiative
The Daily Herald, March 7, 2020
Coming off her Grammy Award nomination for being one of the top music educators in the country, a Buffalo Grove High School teacher is launching her next major initiative to spread the value of music in schools and the community. Though Elizabeth Bennett didn't win the Grammy Music Educator Award, being named one of 10 nationwide finalists came with $1,000 in prize money and a $1,000 matching grant for the school.
District 214 students to show off talent at Arts Spotlight
The Daily Herald, March 5, 2020
Talented High School District 214 students will light up the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre stage at 7 p.m. Monday, March 16, with a series of dance, vocal and instrumental acts in the second annual Arts Spotlight, a showcase of talent benefiting career exploration in the arts. Hosted by the District 214 Education Foundation, in partnership with the district's Fine and Performing Arts departments and instructors, the event will feature two acts from each of the district's six comprehensive high schools, as well as 2D pieces from student artists at every school. Read Story
2020 Chicago Sun-Times All-Area basketball team
Chicago Sun-Times, March 5, 2020
Kam Craft, Buffalo Grove, 6-5, G, So: Turned in a dominant sophomore season, averaging 23.5 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2 steals. Led Bison to their first division title since 2008 and best record (24-7) since 2007. The fastest in program history to surpass the 1,000-point mark. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for the Third Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for the oneBG Podcast
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
1. What is your name? Mike Garofola
2. What department do you work in? I am in Campus Security.
3. How long have you been working at BG? This is my 4th school year.
4. Where did you go to high school? I went to John Hersey High School.
5. What part of working at BG do you find most rewarding? Getting to know the students on a day to day basis over the course of the school year.
6. What is something unique about you? I have been a freelance writer for the Daily Herald for 25 years, covering prep sports.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? What activities at BG do you follow? I enjoy going out to watch students participate in sports, plays, musicals, and band.