Want to Cheer on the Bison?
Please Follow the Spectator Protocol
Words cannot describe how excited the athletic administration is to welcome Bison Athletics and Fine Arts back on campus this week. As you all know, adjusting to ever changing guidance from the State of Illinois Department of Health and the IHSA has made the start of our modified fall season challenging for our school and district. We are happy to report that each day we are moving ever closer to a return to normalcy. The next stage for us is to welcome all of you to cheer on our Bison by supporting our Bison athletes in their respective sports endeavors. In doing so, we ask that you recognize the fragile state we live in and work together with us to keep our athletes and coaches safe when you participate as a spectator whether HOME or AWAY.
ALL SPECTATORS MUST ADHERE TO SOCIAL DISTANCING BETWEEN INDIVIDUALS AND AS A GROUP (more than 6 feet away from other individuals NOT in your family unit and groups of 50 spectators must maintain 30 feet separation from other groups)
ALL SPECTATORS MUST WEAR A FACE MASK AT ALL TIMES EVEN WHILE OUTSIDE AND NO MATTER HOW SEPARATED YOU ARE FROM OTHERS.
RESPECT THE INCREASED BOUNDARIES WE ARE CREATING ON CAMPUS AND OFF BETWEEN ATHLETES AND FANS.
AT THIS TIME, WE WILL BE PERMITTING SPECTATORS ONLY AT OUTSIDE CONTESTS. DUE TO INDOOR PHASE 4 RESTRICTIONS, OUR POOL FACILITY CAN ONLY HOLD 50 INDIVIDUALS WHICH WILL MOST LIKELY BE LIMITED TO ATHLETES, COACHES AND CONTEST ADMINISTRATION. In order to connect our swimmers and divers with their fans, we are looking into options to livestream our home contests.
BE AWARE THAT EACH SCHOOL AND DISTRICT WE COMPETE AGAINST MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS FOR US AND PLEASE BE PATIENT WHEN GAME ADMINISTRATION PERSONNEL ASK FOR YOUR COMPLIANCE.
CHEER AND SUPPORT THE BISON LIKE YOU NEVER HAVE BEFORE!!!! REMEMBER TO ALWAYS FIGHT ON!
We value the support that our Bison community brings to our athletes and wish this season to be a safe and rewarding experience. Thank you for your ongoing support and understanding.
The Bison Impact:
Breaking news.... junior Golfer Marisa Kurowski shot a hole in one on the 6th hole at Twin Lakes during the match against Barrington and Palatine on Wednesday! Congratulations Marisa! Fight On!
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
1. What is your name? Debora Utley
2. What department do you teach in/ How long have you been teaching at BG? I am a member of our BGHS Music Department ~ Choir and I have been at BGHS for 14 years (18 years in D214)
3. Where did you go to high school? I went to Shawnee Mission Northwest HS ~ Class of 1991 ~ in Shawnee, Kansas
4. What part of teaching do you find the most rewarding? The thing I find most rewarding are the relationships I have made with students, parents and colleagues throughout my 25 years as a high school choir director. I feel extremely blessed for all the amazing people that have come into my life through teaching. The connections we make through music are forever.
5. What new thing have you learned this year teaching remotely? I have learned that I am NOT as technologically advanced as I thought I was!!! Thank goodness I have a 22-year-old daughter to help me out!!! It’s been really rewarding to learn and experience some great technology that I will continue to use even when we are able to be making music in person again!
6. What are you currently reading, and/or do you have a favorite author or podcast? I am currently reading "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson (the author of Devil in the White City). It follows Winston Churchill's time as Prime Minister during WW2.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? We are very busy in the Choir department ~ we have 11 vocal ensembles (4 concert choirs, 2 vocal jazz ensembles and 5 a cappella groups)! We are also continuing our National Anthem program to provide National Anthem singers at all our BGHS sporting events. We also have our Caroling Party, which is open to all singers ~ and we provide Caroling for public and private events around Buffalo Grove. AND we offer our middle school A Cappella program ~ ACute ACappella, which allows area 6th, 7th and 8th graders an opportunity to sing great A Cappella music at BGHS! I also am the Vocal Director for our Spring Musicals at BGHS.
BGHS in the News
Boys Golf 2020 Season Previews
Journal & Topics, August 28, 2020
Key returnees: Dori Lee (Jr.; 12th in state last year, all-conference), Ryan Beerheide (Jr.; all-conference), Ryan Gledhill (Sr.), Joey Morain (Sr.), Braidyn Castle (Sr.), Cameron Majeski (Sr.)
Key newcomers: Reilly Allen (Jr.), Connor Woodin (Fr.), Alex Gordon (Jr.), Matthew Allaire (Jr.), Jimmy Giuliano (Jr.)
Note: Lee became the fifth state medalist in program history last season with his 12th place finish. A state medalist is a top 15 golfer in the finals; the only other four in Buffalo Grove history are Doug Ghim (3rd in 2010), Jon Schram (1st in 2001), Ryan Cassidy (7th in 1998) and Mike Jonas (11th in 1982). Lee was a sectional qualifier in 2018 as well.
Coach’s keys to success: “Stay healthy! We have many obstacles to overcome in regard to COVID-19 restrictions, but I have never been this excited to start a season. Teachers and coaches chose this career for interactions with young adults and (to) have a positive impact in the community. The disruptions to life the past few months have made me increase the value of my job as an educator.” Read Story
New Block Schedule/Blue and Orange Days Calendar
The new block schedule can be found on the Buffalo Grove High School website www.bghs.d214.org under Quick Links.
CLICK HERE for the New Block Schedule
Not sure which block schedule day it is? The Blue and Orange Days Calendar can be found on the Buffalo Grove High School website www.bghs.d214.org under Quick Links. CLICK HERE for the Blue & Orange Day Calendar
District 214 Covid-19 Information Center
District 214 has a Covid-19 Information Center page on the d214.org website. As new information concerning COVID-19 and its effect on District 214 becomes available, it is posted on this site. This webpage provides links to COVID-19 information from federal, state, and local public health agencies.
CLICK HERE to visit the District 214 Covid-19 Update Information Center
Help D214 Students and Families in Need
Those wishing to support our D214 students and families directly amid the C-19 pandemic should do so using the official D214 Foundation online giving page at www.214foundation.org, or CLICK HERE.
The Foundation has committed to a dollar-for-dollar $10,000 match for the initial $10,000 raised, and we know we'll go beyond. Funds will assist with needs at many levels, and distribution will be coordinated in part through the Foundation's Student Needs Task Force, a group of volunteers who help meet student needs throughout the year. These allocations will be made based on requests from principals in consultation with counselors. This effort is focused on addressing direct, real, pressing needs of students who need assistance now. Funds collected will be prioritized based on need. Please spread the word and invite neighbors, friends, parents and others to use this Foundation page to give here. You can share the link directly via social media. All donations are tax-deductible.
Resources for D214 Families
CLICK HERE for the Northwest Suburbs Resource Directory
CLICK HERE for the Buffalo Grove Area Youth and Family Services Community Resources
A Comprehensive List of Local Food Supplies:
CLICK HERE for Food Pantry Resources
HAGA CLIC AQUÍ para obtener recursos de despensa de alimentos
Here are some resources that I’ve found helpful from Deb Heitner, author of Raising Digital Natives:
Handling Your Kids Disappointment When Everything Is Cancelled - from the New York TImes
Parenting during coronavirus: What to know about playdates, online learning and more- from the Washington Post
Comprehensive physical and mental health resources from the Child Mind Institute
Looking for More?
Click Here for the First Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for the oneBG Podcast
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
Click Here for the BGPA Bison Spiritwear online store