Friday Focus - PARCC test
As you know, on March 16th and 17th, Buffalo Grove High School will administer the state-required Partnership for the Assessment of Readiness of College and Careers (PARCC) exam. This exam will be given on March 16th to all students in junior level English classes, and on March 17th to all students in an Advanced Algebra course. Per Illinois state mandate, the English and math tests will be administered twice, once in March, as a “Performance Based Assessment” (PBA) and again in May, as the “End-Of-Year Assessment” (EOY).
I want to give a little background about PARCC in this blog, as it has been in the news on an almost daily basis recently.
PARCC is an assessment based upon the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). It is the assessment of the CCSS that the State of Illinois has adopted, along with Arkansas, Colorado, Loiusiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, and Rhode Island. However, they are distinctly different entities. PARCC is purely an assessment. The CCSS are the set of standards on which the creators of the PARCC test used to create their assessment.
My opinion is that the CCSS is a well-developed set of standards meant to challenge typical classroom teaching, and instill a model that targets students’ critical thinking and processing skills through the lens of core content.
We are hopeful that the data from this test can be used as a further educational tool for self-assessment of our instruction.
To learn more about the PARCC test, you may visit: http://www.parcconline.org/about-parcc
BGPA Communication and Link
BGPA Meeting, Wednesday, March 18, 7:00 pm, Community Room
Lou's Pizza Factory and BGPA** (Buffalo Grove Parent's Association) will be having an ONGOING fundraiser EVERY Sunday through Thursday. Lou's Pizza Factory has delicious antipasti, pastas (including gluten free), flat and pan pizzas, salads, sandwiches, desserts, and drinks. They are just a few blocks east of BGHS - located at 719 E. Dundee Rd. in Arlington Heights. If you mention BGPA, Lou's Pizza Factory will not charge sales tax and they will be donating 25% of their income to the BGPA! Tell your friends, relatives, and neighbors. This is valid for Dine in, Carryout, or Delivery. Any questions, please contact BGPA member, Lisa Groh at email@example.com or (847) 682-1200. Thank you for your continuing support of BGPA to help our students!
DISTRICT 214 CALENDAR
March 20 Spring Vacation Begins at Close of Classes - Dismissal at 1:50 pm
March 30 First Day of Classes after Spring Vacation
April 3 Non-Attendance Day - No School
April 6 Institute Day - Students NOT in Attendance
May 25 Memorial Day - No School
May 31 Commencement Exercises
June 5 Last Day of Classes
Upcoming Dates/ Big Events Semester 2
March 18 Financial Aid Night, 7:00 pm, Buffalo Grove H.S. Theater
March 19 Blood Drive sponsored by Senior Class, 7:30 am - 3:00 pm, Gym
March 20 EARLY DISMISSAL, Students Dismissed at 1:50 pm
March 30 Summer School, Drivers Ed, Sports Camps - Online Registration Begins
Back Those Bison - Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the coming week
March 13 Girls Track vs. Cary-Grove, Lake Zurich, Wauconda, 4:30 pm, Fieldhouse
March 13 Expressions Preview Concert, 7:00 pm, Theater
March 16 Badminton vs. Naperville North, 4:30 pm, Gym
March 16 Boys Water Polo vs. Wheeling, 5:30 pm, Pool
March 17 Girls Soccer vs. St. Viator, 4:30 pm, Stadium
March 18 Girls Water Polo vs. Hersey, 5:30 pm, Pool
March 20 Badminton Lucky Clover Varsity Invite, 4:30 pm, Gym & Fieldhouse
March 21 Badminton Karen Douglas Invite, 8:00 am, Gym & Fieldhouse
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for B.G. activities, please go to: http://il.8to18.com/buffalogrove/calendar
Daily Announcements Link
Buffalo Grove High School provides daily announcements to the students to keep them informed of current and upcoming events. To provide you with more information, the Student Announcements are now online. The announcements will be online for 10 days.
BG in the news
Buffalo Grove Band Trip to Northwestern
1.What is your name? Chris VanGrondelle
2. What department do you teach in/ what courses do you teach? I work in special education department. I co-teach biology, chemistry and physics.
3. How long have you been teaching at BG? I have been teaching at Buffalo Grove High School for 21 years.
4. Where did you go to high school? I went to Marist High School in Chicago when it was 2000 Marist men.
5. What part of teaching to you find the most rewarding? I love the interactions with young adults. I believe I have a personality that allows kids to feel comfortable talking to me or asking questions. When this happens they become more engaged in my teaching and will listen more, try harder and consequently will learn more.
6. What is something unique about you? I live with 4 incredible women. My wife and 3 daughters who are all AMAZING people.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I coach the girls golf team, the girls bowling team and I'm the head girls badminton coach. I am the voice of the Bison Pride Marching Band during football season. I have been on the microphone for the boys basketball team for over 10 years. During my time at BG, I've also coached girls basketball, boys basketball. I was the head coach of the varsity girls basketball and girls badminton teams at Wheeling High School.