Friday Focus - The Redesigned SAT
As you may have heard, the State of Illinois has adopted the redesigned SAT to be the state test for all 11th graders in Illinois. However, with the current state budget situation, it has yet to be determined if the State of Illinois will be able to administer this test in the spring of 2016. In the absence of clarity on this issue, District 214 has made the determination to pay for all 11th graders to take the ACT for one more year.
In my opinion, this is the right choice. The ACT is the test and format that our students are familiar with, and will give the greatest opportunities for our students when it comes to college admissions and scholarships. Additionally, the state is requiring some PARCC testing. You will see that current 8th, 9th, and 10th graders will be given a test in the SAT suite of exams in order to familiarize themselves for the years to come. Below are the key dates and grade levels impacted by spring testing.
SPRING ASSESSMENT UPDATE FOR BGHS
Grade levels impacted
Saturday Feb 20
(makeup day Feb 27)
Current 8th graders (incoming freshmen)
Tues Feb 23
Tues April 12
PARCC Algebra 1
Any student in Algebra 1 level math
(Courses: Algebra 61/62/63, and Algebra 70/71)
Tues April 19
9th: PARCC ELA 1
10th: PSAT 10
9th, 10th, 11th
Thursday April 21
9th: PARCC ELA 1
Celebrating Our Success!
- Arlington Heights announced its 2016 Hearts of Gold honorees, the village's highest award for citizens who contribute to the community. BGHS junior, Danielle Allaire, was named Young Champion Heart of Gold. She will be honored at the Hearts of Gold Awards dinner on February 20th at Rolling Green Country Club in Arlington Heights. Read Story
- Congratulations to the Varsity Girl’s Basketball team for their 3rd place finish in 33rd Annual Charger Classic girls basketball tournament hosted by Dundee-Crown High School over winter break. Senior guard, Maddie Welter, with eight 3-pointers, scored 31 points to lead the Bison to a 75-53 win over Crystal Lake South. 14 points from Sammy Stejskal and 10 from Natali Dimitrova contributed to the win.
- Congratulations to Varsity Divers Jack Delattre and Matt Misch for placing 1st and 4th in the Vernon Hills Varsity Invitational on January 2nd.
- The BGHS Coed Varsity Cheerleaders started their season with a 1st place finish at Belvidere North Coed Challenge on December 18th!
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL
Final Exams, First Semester Ends on January 22
Institute Day - NO SCHOOL
Presidents’ Day - NO SCHOOL
Spring Break Begins at Close of Classes, 1:50pm Dismissal
First Day of Classes after Spring Break
Back Those Bison - Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Boys Varsity Swimming & Diving vs. Fremd
Boys Varsity Basketball vs. Rolling Meadows
New Year’s Bison Cheerleading Invitational
Boys Varsity Swimming & Diving vs. Prospect
Girls Varsity Basketball vs. Prospect
Boys Varsity Basketball vs. Prospect
Boys Varsity Swimming & Diving Meet vs. Wheeling & Hersey
Boys Varsity Wrestling vs. Hersey
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
BGHS in the News
BG student gets perfect score on ACT
Patch, December 28, 2015
BG student, Blaire Weinberg, is one of eight High School District 214 students in the current senior class who received a perfect composite score of 36 on the ACT, a national college admission and placement examination. Each test is scored on scale of 1 to 36. Of the 1.9 million students to take the test in 2015, less than one tenth of one percent of students earned a perfect composite score of 36. Read story
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
2. What department do you teach in/what courses do you teach? Campus Security/Deans Office/Attendance
3. How long have you been teaching at BGHS? 15 years
4. Where did you go to high school? Immaculate Heart of Mary High School in Westchester, IL
5. What part of teaching do you find the most rewarding? Getting to know the Faculty, Staff and students and helping to make their jobs or high school easier
6. What is something unique about you? I have the same birthday as my Mother
7. What activities or clubs to do you coach/sponsor? I thoroughly enjoy Football, Basketball, Theatre, Expressions, Orchesis, Band, and Orchestra.