Friday Focus - We came, We saw . . . the Sliver of Sun!
On Monday, BG Students and Staff were able to experience the solar eclipse together in the Stadium. The clouds broke enough for everyone to get a great look. A huge thank you to our Physics Department for putting together a fun and informative video for our student body to create a great educational experience for all.
News from the BGPA
BG Student Directories are going electronic this year! A link will be sent to all BGPA members to access the student directory in the coming weeks. If you haven't registered for your BGPA membership, you can find the form here: BGPA Membership Form
OPEN HOUSE 7:00pm
Labor Day - NO SCHOOL
Freshmen Parent Meeting - 8:15-9:03am in the BGHS Theater
Career Night:Arts & Communication/Human Services 6:30-9:00pm (Prospect)
BGPA Meeting 7:00pm in the Community Room - All are welcome
Financial Aid Seminar (Seniors) 7:00pm at Rolling Meadows High School
Non-Attendance Day - NO SCHOOL
Special Needs College Fair 6:00-8:30pm at Forest View Educational Center
Career Night: Health & Natural Resources 6:30-9:00pm (BGHS)
End of First Quarter
Institute Day - Students not in attendance
Second Quarter Begins
Back Those Bison - Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Boys Soccer vs. Conant (at Celtic Field in Palatine)
Football vs. Niles West
Girls Volleyball vs. Niles West
Girls Tennis vs. New Trier
Girls Golf vs. Barrington and Elk Grove
Girls Tennis Quad vs. Fremd, Mundelein, and Niles West
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
BGHS in the News
Buffalo Grove takes aim at breakthrough season
The Daily Herald, August 22, 2017
It seems like forever since Buffalo Grove won a Mid-Suburban East football title. And to the Bison, those 15 years seem like an eternity. The current crop of Buffalo Grove juniors and seniors were just toddlers when Tommy Zbikowski led BG to a conference title. Also at that time, current Bison coach Jeff Vlk was playing college football at Valparaiso. Read Story
Girls golf: BG wins tiebreaker to edge Schaumburg
The Daily Herald, August 23, 2017
Buffalo Grove's Jasmine Yi and Schaumburg's Trinity Corwin, along with their respective teams, were fit to be tied in Wednesday's Mid-Suburban League opening season tri-meet at the Buffalo Grove Golf Club. The Bison and Saxons each scored 179 with their top four scorers while Palatine shot 196. Read Story
Girls volleyball: Buffalo Grove opens season with two-set win
The Daily Herald, August 21, 2017
Buffalo Grove's girls volleyball team kicked off its season with a 25-21, 26-24 triumph over visiting Maine East on Monday night . Leading the Bison on attack were Claire Ferris (7 kills), Mary Nowlan (4 kills), Lauren Horvath (4 kills) and Sasha Rozhko (4 kills).
Boys soccer: Adams, Buffalo Grove quickly in fine form
The Daily Herald, August 21, 2017
Kyle Adams helped Buffalo Grove get its boys soccer season off to a flying start by scoring 4 first-half goals to lead the Bison to a 5-0 victory over Maine East on Monday night in Park Ridge. The win for Brad Abels' team was part of the 10th Central Suburban-Mid-Suburban Soccer Challenge which began in 2008, and has the MSL leading it 41-38-16 after going 4-8-0 a year ago. Read Story
Buffalo Grove thirsts for postseason progress
The Daily Herald, August 18, 2017
This is could be the end of the long drought in Buffalo Grove. The Bison have not been to the playoffs since 2003, the longest such streak in Mid-Suburban League football. And Buffalo Grove has not hosted a game since a fabulous state semifinal thriller in 2002 that featured Tommy Zbikowski. Read Story
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
1. What is your name? Maria Dzien
2. What department have you/ do you work in and what do you do? ELL/Bilingual Instructional Assistant in the Social Studies/World Language/ELL
3. How long have you been working at BG? BG for 11 years and Hersey for 15 years.
4. Where did you go to high school? West Leyden High School in Northlake
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? I work with students who are new to this country and speak very little English. I find it most rewarding when they become acclimated to this country and they become successful students. These students have so much to offer.
6. What is something unique about you? I feel that I'm truly bicultural. I was born in Ecuador and came to this country when I was 9 years old. Being an immigrant myself helps me relate to and show more empathy towards our ELL students. I feel that I have been translating my whole life.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I sponsored the Latino/Hispanic Parent Club for several years. This club provides information and resources for Hispanic Parents. I also assisted with the Chicano Bowl. I follow most BG sports especially when the ELL students are participating.