National Merit Semifinalists & Commended Scholars
We celebrated several outstanding students at our National Merit Recognition Breakfast this week. National Merit Semifinalists Emilia Bondarenko and Alfred Roberts, along with National Merit Commended Scholars Jason Barrette, Andrew Gontko, Joseph Hong, Matthew Jakimovski, Abigail Kim, Kasper Latawiec, Antonio Laverd, Hanniel Malonzo, Vaishnavi Myadam, Zoe Robertson, Jacob Schwartz, Pavle Stojakovic, Annie Waz, Priscilla Yuan, and National Hispanic Scholar Ryder From were recognized.
Celebrating Our Success!
- Congratulations to our Career and Technical Educators! The BGHS CTE Department was recently named the Technology Education High School Program of the Year!
- Congratulations to our Varsity Football team on making the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row! Watch them take on Hononegah High School in Rockton, Illinois tonight at 7:30 pm!
- Congratulations to the JV Swim Team, wrapping up their season with a 4th place finish at the MSL JV Conference Invite!
- Two of our outstanding educators, Kate Glass and Tim Kosiek presented this week at the Illinois Council of Instructional Coaching conference on best practice and innovative learning spaces!
8th Grade Testing 8:00 am Click Here for 8th Grade Enrollment/Info
8th Grade Testing Make-Up Date 8:00 am Click Here for More Info
D214 Career Nights: Engineering & Industrial Technology @ RMHS 6-8:30 pm
Padres Unidos: College 101 and All about Scholarships $$$ @WHS 6:30-8:30 pm
Board of Education Meeting at Forest View Educational Center 7:00 pm
Buffalo Grove Parent Association (BGPA) Meeting 7:00 pm
Non-Attendance Day - Building Closed
Thanksgiving Day - Building Closed
Non-Attendance Day - Building Closed
Attention Juniors, Seniors and Parents! Representatives from the following schools will be on campus to meet with students next week. Please pick up a pass from the College and Career Center to meet with a representative.
College Representative Visit Scheduled
Monday, October 29
4th Period: McKendree University (IL)
5th Period: Drake University (IA)
6th Period: Knox College (IL)
Tuesday, October 30
4th Period: Northern Illinois University
5th Period: Northern Michigan University
6th Period: University of Missouri - Columbia
Wednesday, October 31
4th Period: Xavier University (OH)
5th Period: University of Arizona
6th Period: Texas Christian University
Thursday, November 1
4th Period: University of Kentucky
5th Period: Saint Louis University (MO)
6th Period: Harper College
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
40th Annual Pops Concert The American Songbook More Info
214 Honors Orchestra Concert
District 21/214 Orchestra Festival
Fall Band Concert
Fall Sports Awards
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
BGHS in the News
Buffalo Grove aims for an upset as Class 7A playoffs approach
Chicago Tribune, October 20, 2018
As Buffalo Grove head coach Jeff Vlk put it, the playoffs really started three weeks ago for his Bison. Although Buffalo Grove (5-4, 2-3 Mid Suburban East) entered the weekend with some uncertainty about its postseason outlook, the Bison were confident that they’d indeed be included in the Class 7A playoff field. After a 34-7 loss to undefeated Rolling Meadows on Friday, the Bison had plenty of opponent wins, the tiebreaker used to determine which 5-4 teams qualify for the playoffs and which stay home. Read Story
Girls volleyball: Buffalo Grove holds off Rolling Meadows
The Daily Herald, October 23, 2018
Buffalo Grove seniors Abby Kim and Maggie Streckert threw a block party on Tuesday night. And now the Bison girls volleyball team hope to continue celebrating when it plays for a regional championship on Thursday night against neighboring Hersey High School from Arlington Heights. Read Story
New mock courtrooms and health care labs give District 214 students a dose of reality
Chicago Tribune, October 16, 2018
For John Hersey High School senior Joe Lehman, arguing cases inside a replica courtroom before a pretend judge and jury has brought him one step closer to realizing his dream….“Anybody can sit in a regular desk in a regular classroom to learn about any topic, but actually being in a courtroom environment to study law makes it much more realistic,” said Joe, 17, who hopes to work as a defense attorney one day. Other new hands-on instructional spaces at Township High School District 214 include another mock courtroom at Elk Grove High School, as well as health care labs at Buffalo Grove, Elk Grove, Rolling Meadows and Wheeling high schools, said Dan Weidner, director of academic programs and pathways for District 214. Read Story
Northwest suburbs' teams set for 1st round
The Daily Herald, October 20, 2018
Buffalo Grove qualified for the playoffs for the second consecutive season. The Bison, who were 5-4 this season, were awarded a 30th seed. They will play at third-seeded Rockton Hononegah, which won the NIC-10 conference and was 9-0 on the season. Read Story
Girls volleyball: Hersey turns the tables on Buffalo Grove
The Daily Herald, October 25, 2018
"That's one heck of a team," Lill said of the Bison, who shared the MSL East crown with Hersey as both teams went 9-1 and split two conference matches. " They gave everything they had. They stuck with it to the finish, fighting point after point. They didn't give up." Neither team led by more than 2 points in the first set until Hersey inched ahead 16-13 on an ace by Kati Kaburov, following consecutive back row kills by the junior standout. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Second Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
2. What department have you/do you work in? Physical Education Dept. I teach Dance 1,2,3 and Orchesis classes
3. How long have you been working at BG? This is my 14th year!!
4. Where did you go to high school? Taft High School in Chicago ( Class of 1992)
5. What part of teaching at BG do you find the most rewarding? I love helping my students explore and develop their passion for dancing, performing, creating and exercising. Many of them are in my class for 3- 4 years because they continue in the Dance curriculum. I develop a great rapport with them and am honored to celebrate their success stories as they go through their years at BG!
6. What is something unique about you? I still dance and perform with my Alumni College Dance Team, the Silverette's at the Northern Illinois University. I am a die hard Chicago Cubs Fan!!
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I am the Orchesis Director at BG!