BGHS Theater Program Season Opener
Friday 10/16 & Saturday 10/17
Yes, even in the time of CoVid, the Buffalo Grove High School Theater Arts Program will present their 2020 Fall Play! This year, the season opens with John Cariani’s LOVE/SICK. Performances run Friday & Saturday, October 16 & 17 at 6:30 pm. There are two ticket options available to the public:
$5 general admission ticket OR
$8 general admission ticket plus popcorn and hot chocolate!
Tickets are available at tickets.d214.org CLICK HERE. Masks and social distancing are required for all audience members throughout their time on the BGHS campus.
LOVE/SICK is a darker cousin to Cariani’s Almost, Maine. LOVE/SICK is a collection of nine slightly twisted and completely hilarious short plays. Set on a Friday night in an alternate suburban reality, this 80-minute romp explores the pain and the joy that comes with being in love. Full of imperfect lovers and dreamers, LOVE/SICK is an unromantic comedy for the romantic in everyone.
The New York Times explains, “The ratio of laughs to eye rolls runs about three to one in the whimsical romantic comedy LOVE/SICK. A pessimist would say, that’s a lot of eye rolls. An optimist would say, it’s just a play, shut up and stop keeping score.” No matter your side, the Times concludes with, “a pessimist might rightly say that LOVE/SICK doesn’t reach for much, while an optimist could counter that it achieves what it sets out to do — deliver a few laughs and some cleverness. It all depends on how — or if — you’re keeping score.”
The Bison Impact:
Congratulations to Model UN on two HUGE awards at CSMUN. Congrats to sophomore Holden Wheeler for 1st Outstanding and junior Zach Duvell for Best Delegate!
Congratulations to our Scholastic Bowl team on earning 2nd place in the IHSSBCA Earlybird Tournament!
AP Exam Registration - October 1 - 27, 2020
Registration for all Advanced Placement Exams is open now through October 27, 2020. Even though Advanced Placement exams are scheduled for May 3-21, 2021, all registration must be completed this month. Any AP students that are taking the AP Exams must register by October 27.
* Go to the Buffalo Grove HS webpage
* Select the Trending Tile -> Advanced Placement
Please note that College Board imposes a late fee of $40 that will be applied to exam registration received after the 10/27/20 deadline. If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact our Assessment Supervisor, Julie Chybicki-Zimmer (847) 718-4030 or Assessment Assistant, Robin Christie (847) 718-4036.
Attention Seniors and Parents!
Virtual College Visits for Seniors
The District 214 Post-Secondary Counselors are offering virtual college representative visits for seniors. The representatives available next week are listed on the schedule below. Students check your email, or please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com in the College & Career Center for the Zoom links if you are interested in attending any of these sessions.
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
1. What is your name? My Name is Elizabeth ( Beth ) Brosnan
2. What department do you teach in/ How long have you been teaching at BG? I teach the College Nursing Assistant Training Class. It's a Dual Credit Class with Harper. I just started at BG in August. I teach the same class at RMHS and this is my second year there.
3. Where did you go to high school? I went to Resurrection High School in Chicago and worked as a Nursing Assistant at the hospital across the street in my senior year.
4. What part of teaching do you find the most rewarding? I love seeing students reach that "Aha" moment, like learning how to take a blood pressure or using critical thinking to recognize a change in a patient's condition during clinical.
5. What new thing have you learned this year teaching remotely? I have learned how to use so many helpful programs to enhance remote learning: Zoom polls and Jamboard are 2 of my favorite so far.
6. What are you currently reading, and/ or do you have a favorite author or podcast? I have been reading the Ruth Galloway Mystery Series by Elly Griffiths and listening to the Michelle Obama podcast on Spotify.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? none
8. What is something unique about you? I am a Nurse. I love to bake and Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year.
BGHS in the News Students collect tech to help others e-learn
The Daily Herald, October 4, 2020
A pair of suburban high school students are working toward a shared dream: to make digital devices accessible to more students. Their collection box near the entrance to Arlington Heights Memorial Library has drawn steady donations -- of mostly laptops and iPads -- and the teens are just getting started. Rohan Ganeshan, a freshman at Buffalo Grove High School, and Sachleen Tuteja, a sophomore at Illinois Math and Science Academy in Aurora, met while junior high students at Quest Academy in Palatine. Read Story
Girls swimming: Buffalo Grove's journey has been successful thus far
The Daily Herald, October 2, 2020
Buffalo Grove girls swimming and diving coach Michael McPartlin is fond of saying every race is a journey. That's the rationale he uses when he allows his charges to experiment with races outside of their comfort zone, in the strangest of seasons, thanks to COVID-19. The approach is paying off. His team is 5-1 in dual meets, having lost only to Mid-Suburban League East rival Hersey 82-62 on Sept. 17. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for the New Block Schedule
Click Here for the Blue & Orange Day Calendar
Click Here for the D214 School Calendars
Click Here for the First Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for the oneBG Podcast
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
Click Here for the BGPA Bison Spiritwear online store