Friday, March 10, 2017

Principal Wardle's Weekly Blog 03/10/2017


Friday Focus  -  Model UN wins “Best Small Delegate" Prize!
  • Congratulations to our Model UN students on their winning "Best Small Delegate" at the Lyons Township Model United Nations Conference.  This is awarded to teams that are less than 20 students.  It is given to a team that demonstrated high skills of diplomacy, negotiation, and world political thought. Congratulations
    Brandon Lawrence, John Burzawa, Abigail Alikov, Pavle Stojavic, Kamil Wisniewski, Jasmine Ericson, Waad Osman, Andrew Cochrane, Cassie Deckowitz, Max Schneider, Aadam Suleman, Conor Halm, Chris Louras, and Luke Schreiner! 20170225_163659.jpg



Upcoming Dates

Date
Event
March 13
Junior Financial Aid Night at Rolling Meadows High School 7:00pm
March 15
Buffalo Grove Parent Association Meeting (BGPA) 7:00pm Community Room
March 16
Blue Late Start - 8:30am
March 23
Blue Late Start - 8:30am
Board of Education Meeting at Forest View Educational Center 7:00pm
March 24
Early Dismissal - 1:50pm
March 27-31
Spring Break
March 31
Last Day of 3rd Quarter
April 3
Teacher Inservice Day (students not in attendance)
April 4
First Day of 4th Quarter (classes resume after Spring Break)


Celebrating Our Success!

  • Congratulations to our DECA students heading to STATE! Good luck today!
  • Congratulations to the 2017 Battle of the Bands winner, Pulse!Battle.jpg
  • Congratulations on a great performance by our band students at the Concert Band Festival! Band.jpg
  • Congratulations to our Orchesis students on their fantastic show, Luminescence! Orchesis.jpg
  • Congratulations to our Choral & Orchestra students on their beautiful performance last night! C6hRUmAU0AEGY9T.jpgC6hRUmBUwAALwxa.jpg
  • Congratulations to the BGHW Stampede Hockey team on their win last night against Prairie Ridge. Good luck in your semi-final game on Tuesday!

Back Those Bison - Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week

Date
Time
Event
March 10
4:30pm
Girls Track & Field vs. Cary Grove and Lake Zurich
7:00pm
Expressions Preview
March 13
4:30pm
Girls Badminton Triangular
5:30pm
Girls Water Polo vs. Wheeling
March 14
5:00pm
Girls Soccer vs. Stevenson
March 15
5:30pm
Girls Water Polo vs. Hersey
8:00pm
Pick Staiger Concert @ Northwestern University
March 16
4:30pm
Girls Softball vs. Glenbrook North
March 17
4:30pm
Girls Badminton “Lucky Clover” Invitational
4:30pm
Girls Softball vs. Cary Grove
March 18
8:00am
Girls Badminton “Lucky Clover” Invitational

For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar


What’s New in the BGenius Collaboratory?
Click here to read the latest BGenius Collaboratory blog post.


BGHS in the News

Zach Borenstein Helps Israel Baseball Double Up
Journal-Topics, March 8, 2017
Buffalo Grove alum Zach Borenstein is having a great time playing for Israel baseball in the World Baseball Classic at Gocheok Sky Dome in Seoul, South Korea. Borenstein, a native of Arlington Heights, went 1-for-4 with a double and a walk in Israel’s 2-1 win over No. 3 South Korea in Monday’s opener of the international baseball tournament. The Eastern Illinois University alum is starting right fielder for the underdog Israel team. Read Story


Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements


Staff Spotlight
FullSizeRender (10).jpg

1. What is your name?  Milan Vuckovich
2. What department have you/ do you work in? Student Services/Special Education

3. How long have you been working at BG? This is my 4th year in the building as an Instructional Assistant, but my 7th year coaching football for the Bison. This is also my 2nd year as one of the ESPA Building Representatives.
4. Where did you go to high school? Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire (even though I grew up 2.3 miles from BGHS, but on the Lake County side of Buffalo Grove).
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? The most rewarding part of my job is the relationships I have formed with my students and the student-athletes I have coached over the years. Whether it's getting to know someone's story and helping them through a difficult time in their lives, or figuring out a difficult math problem, guiding them to a resolution is what makes our jobs so unique. I also really enjoy working with my colleagues. From my daily responsibilities in the Special Education department, to the department luncheons with the Math and Science department, I truly do love my job and the people I work with who make it so enjoyable.
6. What is something unique about you?  I am the very first Vuckovich born on American soil and my two daughters are the first Vuckovich girls born here as well. My father and grandparents immigrated here in 1948 from Trieste, Italy, after World War II, where my grandfather was a POW for five years in a Nazi concentration camp outside of his village in Serbia, where my family is originally from. I also played D1-AA football at Western Illinois University, from 2000-2003. I started my career in the business world, working as a customer service rep and then later as an inside sales rep, for a home warranty company for 3.5 years. I then moved over to another local business, as a commodity trader, where I bought and sold food commodities for about 4.5 years. I decided to get into education a few months after getting married, haven't looked back since, and couldn't be happier in my life both professionally and personally!

7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I coach both Football and Wrestling here at BG. This was my 7th season on the football staff and my 3rd on the wrestling staff. I also announce girls soccer games, baseball games, and work track meets when help is needed.