Friday Focus: 2019 Program of Excellence Award
Buffalo Grove's Technology department was nominated for and received the distinction of a 2019 Program of Excellence Award. This was awarded through ITEEA (International Technology and Engineering Educators Association). We are one of 50 schools across the nation to be awarded this. We are so fortunate to work with an extremely hard working and professional team that has redefined and re-imaged the Technology Department at our school.
Celebrating Our Success!
- Congratulations to our Varsity Coed Cheerleaders who placed 5th in State!
- Congratulations Gymnast LEAH OYEN IHSA Regional Uneven Bar Champion!
- Congratulations to our Varsity Bowlers on finishing 2nd at the IHSA Regional and advancing to Sectionals!
- Congratulations to Varsity All-conference Bowlers Maddie Schanke, Sara Clay and Rebecca Howard!
- Congratulations to our 43 DECA students who placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall and have advanced to State!
- Principles of Finance: Madison Morelli (2nd Place) and Dagmara Sobolak (3rd Place)
- Principles of Hospitality & Tourism: Matt Allaire (1st Place), John Burzawa (1st Place), Angelica Groszek (3rd Place), Lauren O'Doherty (3rd Place)
- Principles of Marketing: Brooke Bickhaus (1st Place), Isabella Larkowski (2nd Place)
- Accounting Applications: Jimmy Cardaras (2nd Place)
- Business Finance: Alfred Roberts (1st Place)
- Food Marketing: Nathan Finkelshteyn (1st Place)
- Hotel & Lodging Management: Zoe Robertson (1st Place)
- Human Resources Management: Alannah Rodrigues (1st Place), Ananya Mahishi (3rd Place)
- Sports & Entertainment Marketing (individual): Tyler Kipley (2nd Place)
- Business Law & Ethics Team: Feyza Baysal & Ben Morain (1st Place)
- Buying & Merchandising Team: Zori Angelova & Shannon Clancy (1st Place), Gianluca DiStaola & Tyler Frank (2nd Place)
- Entrepreneurship Team: Carlos Pablo & Jillian Thompson (2nd Place)
- Financial Analysis Team: Vaishnari Myadan & Annie Waz (1st Place), Kasper Latawiec & Alex Marchok (3rd Place)
- Hospitality Services Team: Maddie Morrison & Rachel Sowa (1st Place)
- Marketing Management Team: Lauryn Lintner & Christina Ruterschmidt (1st Place), David Lender & Sanskar Siddarth (2nd Place)
- Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team: Claire Ferriss & Nina Masciopinto (1st Place), Connor Adams & Jacqueline Bickhaus (2nd Place), Sydney Fortman & Claire McLoone (2nd Place), Kyle Stefani & Zach Stenger (3rd Place)
- Travel & Tourism Team: Matt Barba & Andrew Sokolowski (2nd Place)
- Congrats to our Winter Guard on their FIRST ever competitive outing at Naperville North. They finished Second place in the SRA class! Great work
- Congrats to the BG Chess Team on qualifying for State!
- Congratulations to Wrestler TJ West, finishing 2nd at Regionals and advancing to Sectionals at Barrington next week.
- Shout out to our Girls Basketball players who volunteered at Bernie’s Book Drive over the weekend. Nice work “Buffalo Gals”!
- Congratulations to our Frosh/Soph Boys Swimmers who took 4th place at Conference!
- Congratulations to our Class of 2019 Competitive Cheerleaders celebrating Senior Night this week!
- Congratulations to our athletes who signed commitments this week to continue their academic and athletic careers in college: Tom Trieb will play football next year for the Huskies of Northern Illinois University; Sean Jacobs, newest member of the North Central College football program; John Kowalski who will continue his football career at the College of DuPage; Dan Pocklington who will play baseball at Grinnell College; Carter Gledhill who will continue his baseball career at Concordia Chicago; and Riley Rundquist who will play baseball at Heartland Community College. Fight on!
Giordano Choreography Project
On Saturday, January 19, BGHS Orchesis students were one of 9 area high schools performing at Barrington High School as part of the Giordano Choreography Project. Our Orchesis students had the opportunity to work with Giordano Company Member Natasha Overturff for over two months prior to the performance. Dancers in the piece included: Brooke Bickhaus, Maeve Conlon, Alexa Kantor, Amanda Kim, Lily Noonan, Michelle Oku, Anny Poltinnikov, Melanie Portnov, Jenna Stasik, Amanda Strege, Debbie Wells and Brooke Wilkinson.
One Grove Gallery Senior Art Show
The One Grove Gallery is running a new show highlighting the BG art and photo seniors. Students dedicated to the visual arts have shown growth, hard work, problem solving, and exploration in their artwork. They explore visual concepts and communicate meaning in their artwork in their own unique style. The show will run through February 16th.
Seniors celebrated in the show include: Amanda Baerson, Lara Baldwin, Z’nea Jones, Jennifer Klimowicz, Victor Lopez, Caisey Pickett, Jack Samson, Kylie Gucwa, Yzabela Vigan, Elizabeth Hedrick, Hannah Young, Brian Carranza, Madison Denomie, Katrin Svadlena, Laylanie Vasquez, Iana Zhuravel, Artsemi Yushkevich, Dominika Czaczkowska, Kathryn Larson, and Alex Kranz.
D214 Future Ready Parent Series - The Successful Parent: The Good News About Bad Behavior with presenter Katherine Lewis 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Forest View Educational Center. Click HERE for more information
President’s Day - Building Closed
Buffalo Grove Parent Association (BGPA) Meeting 7:00pm
Ask the College Night 7:00pm at Forest View Educational Center
Hispanic Family Night at Wheeling High School 6:45-8:30pm
Board of Education Meeting 7:00pm at Forest View Educational Center
End of 3rd Quarter
First Day of 4th Quarter
March 25-March 29
Classes Resume after Spring Break
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Boys Basketball vs. Prospect
Boys Swimming & Diving Varsity Conference Meet
Wind Ensemble Festival
Boys Track & Field vs. Grayslake North, Round Lake, Waukegan
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
Get Involved! Spring Sports are Starting!
BGHS in the News
Buffalo Grove downs Rolling Meadows
The Daily Herald, February 1, 2019
The defensive game plan for Rolling Meadows on Friday night was to shut down Buffalo Grove's bigs. So the Mustangs played a triangle-and-two, to make life tough on 6-foot-4 junior Nate Cole and 6-foot-4 freshman Kam Craft. Read Story
Angelova's career game carries Buffalo Grove over St. Viator
The Daily Herald, January 26, 2019
Buffalo Grove's girls basketball team was on its game Saturday afternoon. And so was its junior forward Zori Angelova, who exploded for a career-high 19 points as the Bison led most of the way in a 57-49 nonconference triumph at St. Viator. Read Story
Girls bowling: Palatine's Phillips, Schaumburg shine at regional
The Daily Herald, February 2, 2019
Rebecca Howard (1,236, a 277 game, and second place overall) led the way for BG. Howard opened her fourth game, the 277, with 9 consecutive strikes. "We were here to show what we're made of," said Howard, a junior. "It was really great today to show how good we can be when we play our best. Our afternoon was better than our morning -- during the fourth, fifth and sixth games we were out to prove to everyone that we could get it done." Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Third Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
1. What is your name? Bill Brown
2. What department have you/do you work in? Counseling grades 9-12
3. How long have you been working at BG? I have been at BG 11 years.
4. Where did you go to high school? I went to Notre Dame High School.
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? The most rewarding part of counseling is that moment when you connect with a student and they realize that you truly understand them.
6. What is something unique about you? I am the youngest of 10 children.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I run a Finding Balance group in student services and am part of the Elevate committee.