You are enthusiastically invited to join outstanding D214 student artists and the District 214 Education Foundation for the Inaugural Arts Spotlight the evening of Monday, March 18 at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre in Arlington Heights.
This event will celebrate some of our top student talent in the areas of 2D and 3D art; dance; vocal performance and instrumental performance. Each District 214 school will be represented with onstage acts, resulting in a tremendous lineup of jazz, a cappella, dance, and so much more. Student artwork will be on display in the lobby.
The event, hosted by the District 214 Education Foundation in partnership with the District's Fine and Performing Arts departments, will launch the newly established District 214 Arts Fund, empowering opportunities for career exploration and success.
Appetizers from local restaurants are included; a cash bar is available.
LOBBY AND BOX OFFICE OPENS AT 6 PM
HOUSE DOORS OPEN AT 6:30 PM
PERFORMANCE BEGIN AT 7 PM
Tickets are available now at www.214foundation.org/arts. The cost is $25. For a limited time, use code PARENTS to receive $10 off your online ticket purchase. Tickets will be $30 at the door.
Over the years, District 214 alumni have represented the fine and performing arts with distinction -- carving out names for themselves as accomplished actors, performers, vocalists, musicians, painters, sculptors, screenwriters, authors and more using skills honed in District 214 classrooms. You are now invited to see the next generation. We look forward to seeing you there!
Celebrating Our Success!
- Good luck to our 42 DECA students competing at State this weekend!
- Congratulations to Loretta (Lorie) Ewert named Honorable Mention in the Daily Herald Northwest Suburban Leadership Team.
- Congratulations to freshman Kam Craft 2019 Chicago Sun-Times All-Area Boys Basketball Team nominee. The All-Area team will be released next week and the All-State team will be announced in two weeks.
- Congratulations to Kendra Lee named to the Northwest All-Area Girls Basketball Team! Honorable mention went to Macy Floro and Alyssa Ramos.
- Congratulations to our Scholastic Bowl team.... IHSA Regional Champs! The squad defeated Grant 650-160 to advance to Saturday’s Sectional at Stevenson. Fight On!
- Congratulations to senior Christian Bellantuono for winning Best Male Soloist at the Chicagoland Showcase last weekend!
- Congratulations to the Bison Men’s Chorale for winning first place at the Chicagoland Showcase last weekend!
- Shout out to the Boys Gymnastics team who volunteered at the Special Olympics gymnastics meet last weekend!
Buffalo Grove Parent Association (BGPA) Meeting 7:00 pm
End of 3rd Quarter
First Day of 4th Quarter
D214 Inaugural Arts Spotlight 6:00 pm at Metropolis Theater in Arlington Hts.
Board of Education Meeting 7:00 pm at Forest View Educational Center
March 25-March 29
Classes Resume after Spring Break
Attention Juniors, Seniors and Parents! Representatives from the following schools will be on campus to meet with students next week. Please pick up a pass from the College and Career Center to meet with a representative.
College Representative Visit Scheduled
Tuesday, March 12
4th Period: Michigan State University
6th Period: Quincy University
Wednesday, March 13
4th Period: University of Tampa
6th Period: Savannah College of Art and Design
Thursday, March 14
6th Period: Illinois Institute of Technology
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Girls Track & Field Triangular vs. Cary Grove and Lake Zurich
Boys Water Polo vs. Elk Grove
Girls Soccer vs. Stevenson
Girls Water Polo vs. Prospect
Boys Water Polo vs. Lindbergh
Girls Soccer vs. St. Viator
Softball vs. Cary Grove
Softball vs. Glenbrook North
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
BGHS in the News
Meet the 2018-19 Daily Herald Leadership Team
The Daily Herald, March 7, 2019
Welcome to a glimpse of the future. Today we announce the 2018-19 Daily Herald Leadership Team, suburban high school students who represent some of the best of their generation -- hard-working, dedicated, eager to lead. Leadership Team students are volunteers, always among the first to go where the need is in their schools, communities and houses of worship. Read Story
Northwest Suburban Leadership Team Honorable Mentions, 2018-2019
The Daily Herald, March 7, 2019
Loretta (Lorie) K. Ewert Buffalo Grove High School Read Story
Boys water polo: Scouting Northwest
The Daily Herald, March 6, 2019
Outlook: "Continue our successes from last year, we are working to be a team that has multiple opportunities on offense," explained Kopecky. "We stress strong defense and capitalizing on the opportunities as they present themselves on offense. We try to be a patient group that works to put ourselves in a position to win at the end of the game." Kopecky said the team's goals are the same each year. "We look at our season chronologically," he said. "Our first goal is the East, followed by the MSL After that, we are looking to sectionals.” Read Story
The Northwest All-Area Girls Basketball Team
The Daily Herald, February 28, 2019
Kendra Lee Buffalo Grove: Buffalo Grove coach Steve Kolodziej called Lee a 'difference-maker' for the Bison this season. And there was no better example than when she hit the game-winning baseline jumper in the final second to give her team a win over MSL Read Story
2019 Chicago Sun-Times All-Area nominees
Chicago Sun-Times, March 5, 2019
Kam Craft, Buffalo Grove, Fr. - 20.3 pts, 6.8 rebs, 2.8 steals, 1.2 blocks Read Story
Former BGHS Student Starring in New Nickelodeon series
Jacqueline Scislowski a BG student from 2014-2017 (and 3 year Orchesis member)
moved to California her senior year to pursue acting and film. She is starring in the New Power Rangers Beast Morphers on Nickelodeon. She is the YELLOW power ranger. Power Ranger Beast Morphers debuted on Nickelodeon March 2. Below is the Youtube intro. Check it out! Click Here to Watch Video
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Third Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
1. What is your name? Matt Myers
2. What department have you/do you work in?
Social Science/World Language. I currently teach Regular and AP US History.
3. How long have you been working at BG? This is my 14th year at Buffalo Grove.
4. Where did you go to high school? I am a Palatine Pirate alumni, just like Principal Wardle.
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? There is nothing better than when a student has an "a-ha" moment in the classroom. Having a concept click when for a student when they understand a piece of content is exciting. In my role as AD, I see this daily in athletes as well. Watching an athlete try a routine or skill in their sport, and succeed, and exhibit sheer joy is an amazing moment to see.
6. What is something unique about you? My father was born in Australia during World War II. He and my grandmother came to America on a steamship just after the war ended. We are still very close with our Australian "rellies" and I hope to get back there soon to visit.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I currently serve as the Girls Athletic Director and sponsor of our "Elevate" Human Performance Project chapter.