Friday Focus: Holocaust Trunk Visits BGHS
Buffalo Grove High School is proud to host the Illinois Holocaust Museum’s literature-based teaching trunk for the next month. Social Science teacher Mary Ryan applied for and was accepted to host the trunk at BGHS. The program provides educators with a wide array of resources for classroom units on character education, human rights, the Holocaust and genocide. Each trunk allows educators to create meaningful lessons employing award–winning fiction, non-fiction, and historical reference materials, as well as DVDs, teaching posters, replica textiles, documents, and photographs. Over the next month, the trunk will be utilized across disciplines, with focus on social science and English classes.
Celebrating Our Success!
- Congratulations to business and entrepreneurship teacher Karen Roberts who was named to the ILCTE 2019 Exemplary Teacher Program!
- Congratulations to senior Katariena Leazer, named Arlington Heights Hearts of Gold Young Champion for her volunteer efforts in the community. At age 6, Katariena got involved with a diabetes support group after being diagnosed with the disease. Now a senior, she has raised more than $110,000 through numerous grass-roots efforts.
- Congratulations to Wrestler Andy Ruby on placing 3rd at Frosh/Soph State!
- Congratulations to our Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combo for their Level 1 Superior performances at Jazz in the Meadows last weekend!
- Congratulations to these Bison students who last week were inducted to the National Technical Honor Society: Jason Bondar, Eric Boyd, Dominic Domian, Carter Gledhill, Lauren Godsell, Thomas Gross, Lauren Horvath, Kasper Latawiec, Antonio Laverd, Jacquelyn LaVigne, Lauren Lintner, Gianna Loverde, Charlie Moran, Vaishnavi Myadam, Carlos Pablo, Alfred Roberts, Christina Ruterschmidt, Rachel Schless, Hannah Sternberg, Jillian Thompson!
- Congratulations to our Boys Basketball team on their outstanding season all the way through the Regional Semi-finals!
- Congratulations to Gymnast Ben Goldberg placing 3rd on High Bar, 3rd on Rings and 4th in the All-Around at D214 Kivland Invite!
- Congratulations to Gymnasts Eric Duenser and Ben Goldberg placing 3rd and 4th on Parallel Bars at D214 Kivland Invite!
- Congratulations to Gymnasts Michael Bucaro, Jesus Vizcarra, and Ethan Root on placing top 5 on Pommel Horse at the D214 Kivland Invite!
Buffalo Grove Parent Association (BGPA) Meeting 7:00 pm
End of 3rd Quarter
First Day of 4th Quarter
Board of Education Meeting 7:00 pm at Forest View Educational Center
March 25-March 29
Classes Resume after Spring Break
Attention Juniors, Seniors and Parents! Representatives from the following schools will be on campus to meet with students next week. Please pick up a pass from the College and Career Center to meet with a representative.
College Representative Visit Scheduled
Monday, March 4
4th Period: Benedictine University
5th Period: American Academy of Art
Wednesday, March 6
National Louis University
Thursday, March 7
5th Period: Northwood University
6th Period: University of Alabama (Roll Tide!)
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Variety Show Tickets are $2 at the door
Boys Track & Field Scarpino Invite
Winter Sports Awards
Girls Water Polo vs. Maine West
Symphonic Band Festival
Boys Water Polo vs. Schaumburg
Winter Choral & Orchestra Concert
Girls Track & Field Triangular vs. Cary Grove and Lake Zurich
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
BGHS in the News
Students Prep For Buffalo Grove Debate
Journal & Topics, February 21, 2019
Students from both Stevenson and Buffalo Grove high schools are gearing up for the Tuesday, March 5 debate at the Community Arts Center in Buffalo Grove sponsored by Journal & Topics Media Group. The debate from 6 to 9 p.m. will include participation of students from both schools asking questions of candidates running for village president and Buffalo Grove Village Board. There are nine candidates running for three, four-year trustee seats and two running for village president. Read Story
Buffalo Grove gets past Round Lake
The Daily Herald, February 25, 2019
When Buffalo Grove's 1-2 scoring punch of Cam Kraft and Tom Trieb went down with injuries a few weeks ago senior guard Mike Nowakowski knew what he had to do. "I do what I have to do to help our team win games," said Nowakowski. "I knew I would have to step up my scoring in the games." Nowakowski scored a career-high 23 points in the Bison's 83-72 win over Round Lake Monday night in the Class 4A Barrington regional. Read Story
Arlington Heights fetes Hearts of Gold winners
The Daily Herald, February 16, 2019
The village of Arlington Heights held its 21st Hearts of Gold banquet Saturday night, honoring those who live or work in the village and have made a difference in the lives of others. Read Story
Meet Arlington Heights' 2019 Hearts of Gold honorees
The Daily Herald, February 11, 2019
The village of Arlington Heights will celebrate its 2019 Hearts of Gold honorees at a dinner banquet Saturday, Feb. 16 at Rolling Green Country Club. This year marks the 21st annual banquet -- the culmination of an awards program recognizing those who live or work in the village and have made a difference in the lives of others. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Third Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
2. What department have you/do you work in? English/Fine Arts. I currently teach AP Language, Honors World Literature, and Acting1-4.
3. How long have you been working at BG? This is my 14th year at Buffalo Grove.
4. Where did you go to high school? I went to East Lansing High School. I grew up in Michigan.
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? Teaching is constantly challenging. I have never felt like "I have it figured out." I really appreciate the constant need to think differently, learn something new, and develop my skills. I learn so much from my students too. I think young people have such a unique capacity to make a difference in the world. My relationships with my students are the best part of my job.
6. What is something unique about you? I am an only child. I think that my relationship with my parents is unique because of this. We are really close. They were both teachers and, because of that, I have always wanted to teach. They both really loved teaching.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I direct the fall play and the spring musical.