Last week Ms. Stenzel's Humanities classes unveiled "Deep Blues" in the OneGrove Gallery. For two weeks, Ms. Stenzel’s students worked hard on the art installation. This year their goal was to create an installation using plastic bags to portray a message about pollution in the ocean. All students and staff were invited to explore and discuss the installation. The installation was up through Tuesday, March 12.
Celebrating Our Success!
- Congratulations to our staff members recognized for their Outstanding Contributions to Education (OCE) as part of our Salute to Staff this week. The 2019 OCE winners are Ami Relf, Kurt Wagner, Cori White, David Haubrich, Chip Mahlman, Jeff Siegal, and Joe Gonzalez. The Sue Moon Service to Colleagues Award winner is Kate Smith. OCE Principal’s Award winners are Cuauhtemoc Mendez and Mary Ryan. The BGHS nominee for the Dr. Elizabeth A. Ennis Innovator Award is Melissa Sang. Staff receiving Special Recognition included: Tim Miller, IHSBCA Class 4A area coach of the year; Jeff Bott, ISBE Those Who Excel Administrator Merit Winner; Karen Roberts, Illinois Career and Technical Education Innovative Curriculum Resources Project Exemplary Teacher; and the BGHS Technology Department teachers Jeff Bott, Sara Farrell, Kyle Pichik, Phil Tshammer, Tom Mroz, Amy Zaba, and Sean Murrin. awarded the Technology Education High School Program of the Year through the Technology Education Association of Illinois. We are so proud of these exceptional educators! Congratulations!
- Staff celebrating 5 years of service as a Bison at our Salute to Staff were Michael Barnes, David Garst, Dr. Jill Maraldo, Rachel Moyer, Luis Reyes, Melissa Sang, and Amy Zaba.
- Staff celebrating 10 years of service as a Bison were Zaya DeNardo, Rosa Garcia, Melissa Moy, Tom Nelis, Dave Peight, James Peto, Matt Priban, and Anna Schultes.
- Staff celebrating 15 years of service as a Bison were TJ Brooks, Jane Lacy, Jamie Lala, Mike McCabe, Renee Pelegris, Mary Ryan, Julie Santeford, Jeanne Shin-Cooper, Kate Smith, and Sarah Weir.
- Staff celebrating 20 years of service as a Bison were Kymberly Corbett, Pete Duffer, Jordie Field, Corinne Ginder, Binh Huynh, Sean Murrin, Andy Park, Brian Vander Ark, Jennifer Zacharski.
- Staff celebrating 25 years of service as a Bison were Debbie Oshita, Ronna Pflanz, Mark, Schaetzlein, Jennifer Schoffstall, Rick Schoffstall, Sindi Smith, and Christopher VanGrondelle.
- Congratulations to our 24 DECA students who medaled in Top 10 at State; 6 students placed 1st; 2 students placed 2nd; 2 students place 3rd; 2 students placed 4th. We are so proud of you!
- Congratulations to back-to-back DECA Illinois State champs, Lauryn Lintner & Christina Ruterschmidt (Marketing Management)!
- Congratulations to BGHS DECA Illinois State champions Vai Myadam and Annie Waz (in Financial Services)!
- Congratulations to DECA State champ, John Burzawa (Principles of Hospitality & Tourism).
- Congratulations to DECA State champ, Alfred Roberts.
- Congratulations to DECA 2nd Place in State winners Sanskar Siddharth & David Lender, in Marketing Management Team.
- Congratulations to DECA 3rd place winners, Zori Angelova & Shannon Clancy in Buying & Merchandising Team.
- Congratulations to DECA 4th place winners, Nina Masciopinto & Claire Ferris in Sports & Entertainment Marketing!
End of 3rd Quarter
First Day of 4th Quarter
D214 Inaugural Arts Spotlight 6:00 pm at Metropolis Theater in Arlington Hts.
Board of Education Meeting 7:00 pm at Forest View Educational Center
March 25-March 29
Classes Resume after Spring Break
District 214 College Fair 6:30-8:30 pm at Forest View Educational Center
Class of 2019 graduation information and answers to your graduation FAQs are available on the BGHS website. Click HERE for Graduation Information
Attention Juniors, Seniors and Parents! Representatives from the following schools will be on campus to meet with students next week. Please pick up a pass from the College and Career Center to meet with a representative.
College Representative Visit Scheduled
Monday, March 18
4th Period: University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
6th Period: University of Wisconsin - Whitewater
Tuesday, March 19
4th Period: Northern Illinois University
6th Period: University of East Anglia (Norwich, England)
Wednesday, March 20
6th Period: Pennsylvania State University
Thursday, March 21
4th Period: Western Illinois University
6th Period: Roosevelt University
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Girls Soccer vs. St. Viator
Softball vs. Cary Grove
Boys Water Polo Invite
Softball vs. Glenbrook North
Softball vs. Glenbard East
Boys Tennis vs. Grayslake North
Boys Water Polo vs. Rolling Meadows
Badminton vs. Palatine
Boys Water Polo vs. Wheeling
Boys Gymnastics Meet vs. Barrington and Hoffman Estates
Girls Soccer vs. Schaumburg
Please call our Sports/Weather Hotline at (847) 718-4213 for sports status updates.
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
BGHS in the News
Boys gymnastics: Season preview / Northwest
The Daily Herald, March 5, 2019
Outlook: Crandall will continue the Bison formula again this season, which has led Buffalo Grove to success in past seasons. This year it will again be all-arounder Ben Goldberg who will be surrounded with a deep and talented group of specialists. This group is a bit younger and less tested in the past, but Crandall still expects his team to be up to the challenge. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Third Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
1. What is your name? Tim Falconer
2. What department have you/do you work in? CTE/PE. Physical Education
3. How long have you been working at BG? This is my first year at BG. I worked as a teacher in District 214 for 39 years prior to starting here.
4. Where did you go to high school? I attended Mundelein High School. My six children have all graduated from Mundelein High School as well.
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? I like being around the students. It keeps your mind young. The staff at BG has also been great. Although I knew a few of them before I came, everyone has welcomed me and made me feel at home.
6. What is something unique about you? I run every day. I have coached Cross Country and Track for over 40 years. However, none of my six children ever competed in running. They all swam and played water polo.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I am not involved in any activities at BG. I follow Swimming, Water Polo, and Track and Field.