Friday Focus: ISTI Showcase STEM Challenge
STEM challenges are partnerships between industry and high schools which allow students to help solve authentic problems in the world today. It is a research and design process that develops critical thinking and collaboration with peers and mentors. Over the course of this year, freshman students from Paige Fullhart’s biology class had the opportunity to partner with mentors from Astellas Pharma, Inc. to explore, create, and build innovative solutions that improve the patient experience. The students chose to focus on allergies and developed an EpiPen specifically designed for children ages 5-11 that is more child-friendly and helps to ease the fear of using it. The students presented their solutions at the Astellas corporate offices in April, and the top group was selected to present with students from around the region as part of the at the annual Illinois Science and Technology Institute Showcase STEM Challenge hosted at Google’s West Loop headquarters.
Celebrating Our Success!
- Congratulations to both Girls and Boys Water Polo on advancing to the Sectional Semifinals TONIGHT. Come cheer them on at 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
- We are so proud of Ms. Fullhart’s students who presented at the 6th Annual STEM Challenge hosted at Google’s West Loop headquarters. Students from around the region presented their amazing innovations at the ISTI Showcase.
- Congratulations to our Softball players celebrating senior night this week!
- Congratulations to our Class of 2019 Boys Volleyball seniors celebrating senior night this week!
- Congratulations to the Bass Fishing team on earning Sectional Champion honors and heading to State!! Fight On! Fish On!
- Congratulations to Gymnasts Eric Duenser (parallel bars), Michael Bucaro (pommel horse), Ethan Root (pommel horse), and Jesus Vizcarra (pommel horse) on qualifying for the 2019 IHSA State meet!
- Congratulations to Class of 2019 Girls Soccer players celebrating senior night this week!
Prom Ticket Sales 8:00-10:00 am
Principal’s Awards Ceremony 7:30 pm
BGPA Meeting 7:00 pm in the Library
Board of Education Meeting 7:00 pm at Forest View Education Center
Theater Awards 7:30 pm
Deadline for seniors to pay all outstanding fees and obligations
(Seniors owing fees and obligations will not receive their graduation tickets)
Spring Sports Awards 7:00 pm
Mandatory Graduation Rehearsal 7:30 am (seniors dismissed after rehearsal)
Early Dismissal for all students at 2:10 pm
Prom 6:30-11:00 pm at the Westin Itasca
Commencement Ceremonies 1:00 pm (doors open at 12:00 pm)
Memorial Day - All Buildings Closed
Final Exams periods 1, 2, 6
Final Exams periods 3, 7, 4
Final Exams periods 8, 5 - Last Day of School
Online registration for 2019-20 school year opens
YOU ARE INVITED to the 2019 BERNIES!
Celebrate the 2018-19 theater season and learn what’s in store for 2019-20!
THE 2018-19 BERNIES!
BGHS Theater Awards Night
Friday, May 17 at 7:30 pm
In the BGHS Miller Theater
The BGHS Theater Arts community, including production staff, teachers, directors, Theater Jury members, classroom students, co-curricular participants, and their families, are invited to attend the BGHS Theater Awards Ceremony: The Bernies, on May 17, 2019 at 7:30 pm in the Theater.
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Baseball vs. Hoffman Estates
Softball vs. Rolling Meadows
Girls Water Polo Sectionals
Boys Water Polo Sectionals
Girls Water Polo Sectional Finals
Baseball Double Header vs. Grant
Boys Water Polo Sectional Finals
Baseball vs. St. Viator
Boys Tennis Quad vs Lake Zurich, Marmion, St Viator
Boys Volleyball Varsity Crossover
Baseball vs. TBA
Softball Varsity Crossover vs. TBA
Boys Track & Field Sectionals
Spring Orchestra Concert
Boys Track & Field Sectionals vs. Barrington
Night of Percussion
Spring Choral Concert
Please call our Sports/Weather Hotline at (847) 718-4213 for sports status updates.
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
Student Announcements: Shh….Ap Testing in Progress
During AP testing from Monday, May 6th - Friday, May 17th, we will not be airing the video announcements throughout the school. Instead, we will only be posting them online everyday. You can Click HERE to stay caught up with the latest news. Scrolling announcements will be posted on all building televisions, as usual.
BGHS in the News
Buffalo Grove makes waves during record-setting girls water polo season
Chicago Tribune, May 5, 2019
With hindsight being 20-20, it makes sense that Buffalo Grove senior Cecelia Carlson ended up being a star athlete in water polo. But Carlson didn’t know what she could do until last school year. That’s when the longtime swimmer decided to give up soccer in order to pursue a second sport in the pool. The Bison are reaping the rewards of Carlson’s decision. She is the team’s best offensive player and has helped Buffalo Grove achieve two prominent milestones: its first 20-win season in program history and the first Mid-Suburban East crown since 2003. Read Story
Baseball: Brunelli, Gledhill lead Buffalo Grove past Wheeling in extras
The Daily Herald, May , 2019
Going extra is the thing at Buffalo Grove. The Bison went into extra innings for the third consecutive game Wednesday, knocking off Wheeling 5-4 in 10 innings in a Mid-Suburban East baseball game that was moved to Buffalo Grove because of wet fields at Wheeling. Buffalo Grove (16-8, 8-5) beat Wheeling 4-3 in nine innings on Monday. They also went seven innings on Tuesday against Elk Grove in a game that was suspended. "It's not like we are backed up with our games and need a little time off for our pitching," Buffalo Grove coach Tim Miller said. "We will just play extra." Also doing the extra was Buffalo Grove's Matt Brunelli and Carter Gledhill. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Fourth Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
2. What department have you/do you work in? I teach Physical Education at Buffalo Grove High School. The courses I teach are: zero hour PE with my baseball players and girls basketball players, advanced activities, team sports, and 2 sections of freshmen boys.
3. How long have you been working at BG? I have been at BG since 2011, so nine years.
4. Where did you go to high school? I went to Elk Grove High School and graduated in 1994.
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? The part of teaching I find to be the most rewarding is the relationships you form with the students and watching them grow and achieve their goals. Another aspect that is rewarding, is when students or athletes come back to visit and you see how successful they are and you know that their high school experience played an important role in their development. Not only from a success standpoint, but in the person they have become.
6. What is something unique about you? I have a brother and sister that also teach at BG.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I am the head coach of the baseball team.