2019 Harper College Graphic Arts Competition
Graphic Arts students from around the state entered artwork into the 2019 Harper College Graphic Arts Competition on May 7, 2019. Artwork was submitted into 5 categories and judged at 4 levels. We are proud to announce the BGHS students recognized at the competition:
Level 2: Anthony Mendoza (1st)
Level 4: Charles Buehler (1st)
Level 2: Rafael Olaguez (1st), Mahir Koseli (2nd)
Level 1: Maria Calderaro (3rd)
Level 4: Tyler Doby (1st), Samantha Micklewright (2nd), Jennelle Vossel (3rd)
Digital Page Layout
Level 1: Mary Gamber (3rd)
Level 2: Anna Wymoczyl (1st), Lauren Horvath (3rd)
Level 3: Tanya Khazin (1st), Michael Idzik (2nd)
Level 4: Tanya Khazin (1st), Charlie Buehler (2nd)
BGHS Places 1st 2nd & 3rd in Dual Credit Fashion Competition!
All semester long, the Fashion Construction Students have been working hard on redesigning their version of the given sample of the final course requirement, The "Little Black Dress" from the Harper College Instructors. Students are allowed to redesign and recreate the dress pattern in their image and search for the perfect fabrics and final touches to make it their own.
There were 52 Little Black Dress entrees, all from either Dual Credit High Schools or current Harper Students enrolled in the same course. All garments were judged by 12 Fashion Industry Professionals, in the categories of creativity and construction/skills, each category was awarded a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. BG had 6 entries and took 3 out of the 6 possible awards! HALF OF OUR STUDENTS TOOK AWAY AN AWARD out of 52 dresses entered! That is quite an accomplishment for our students who only started constructing clothing in August of this year!!!
We are so proud of all our Fashion students and the hard work they put into these garments. They showed persistence, immense problem solving skills, true work experiences from visual concepts to completion, how to translate imagery to functional design and, not to mention, all with immense precision and skill. This career pathway has proven to be a clear choice for our young, future fashion leaders!
1st Place: Mia Ponce, Sophomore
2nd Place: Veronika Chernik, Junior
3rd Place: Citlalli Sanchez, Sophomore
Celebrating Our Success!
- Congratulations to Varsity Baseball! The Bison (21-11) find a way to beat Glenbrook North 11-10 in 8 innings. Carter Gledhill drove in the winning run with a 2 out single bringing home Alex Paul. The Bison will play the winner of the Fremd vs Hersey matchup in the regional championship at Fremd tomorrow at 11:00 am.
- Congratulations and good luck to Jon Peici, Sectional Champion in the 400M dash and State qualifier. He competes this weekend at EIU.
- Congratulations to our talented students performing in this week’s Spring Choral Showcase!
For your reference, here is next week’s Final Exam Schedule:
Prom 6:30-11:00 pm at the Westin Itasca
Commencement Ceremonies 1:00 pm (doors open at 12:00 pm)
Memorial Day - All Buildings Closed
Final Exams periods 1, 2, 6
Final Exams periods 3, 7, 4
Final Exams periods 8, 5 - Last Day of School
Online registration for 2019-20 school year opens
Last day for reduced 2019-20 school registration fees
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
Girls Soccer Sectionals - TBD
Please call our Sports/Weather Hotline at (847) 718-4213 for sports status updates.
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
One Grove Gallery: Elizabeth Hedrick Solo Exhibition
The One Grove Gallery last show of the year is Elizabeth Hedrick's solo exhibition. Elizabeth Hedrick is a dedicated artist and Senior Art Award winner who has amassed a unique and cohesive body of work. Her work goes beyond the realm of high school and is truly unique. Her show will also be up for a few weeks in the fall. You can see more of her work on the One Grove Gallery website HERE.
BGHS in the News
Baseball: Buffalo Grove walks off Glenbrook North on Gledhill's single
The Daily Herald, May 22, 2019
If it's playoff time at Buffalo Grove, it is time for a walk off. The Bison, who had two walk-off wins last year in the playoffs, had another one Wednesday at the Class 4A Fremd regional in Palatine. Carter Gledhill's single in the bottom of the eighth inning scored Alex Paul, who had tripled, to help Buffalo Grove get past Glenbrook North 11-10. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Fourth Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for the Fine Arts Calendar
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
1. What is your name? Rachel Moyer
2. What department have you/do you work in? I'm in the English/Fine Arts Division; I teach American Lit, LEP American Lit, Honors World Lit, and Creative Writing.
3. How long have you been working at BG? This is already my 5th year at BG - time flies!
4. Where did you go to high school? Deerfield High School
5. What part of working at BG do you find the most rewarding? I love seeing my students gain confidence as they grow and master new skills throughout the course of the year. I hope all students feel empowered by the gains they make and the lessons they learn.
6. What is something unique about you? I absolutely love to read young adult fiction and have collected a pretty extensive classroom library full of fabulous YA that my students can borrow from. I am certain with enough time and conversation, I can help any student find a book they actually like! I love reading YA so much that I even managed to read a few books over my recent maternity leave by reading portions of books out loud to my newborn daughter.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I've sponsored Feminism Club in the past. Next year, I hope to help host and facilitate community building events for ESL students and to put on Open Mic sessions with my creative writing students.