Friday Focus - Special Communication to Parents
Last night we hosted Kevin Pearce, a professional snowboarder, who was critically injured with a traumatic Brain Injury. It was a packed house to hear his presentation! Thanks to BG teacher Kate Smith and others for putting this together. Kevin has made dramatic recovery, and has since begun a foundation entitled “Love your Brain” He was at Buffalo Grove High School to talk to our students to “connect, educate, and empower” them regarding traumatic Brain Injury and the incredible power of the brain. You can view the trailer to his award-winning documentary film Crash Reel at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KkFZ-QC53Q It is well worth the time to see this film! I believe the film can be streamed via HBOGO if you have that access.
Upcoming Dates / Big Events Semester 1
October 24 End of 1st Quarter - FULL DAY OF SCHOOL, DISMISSAL 2:50 PM
November 5 Parent/Teacher Conference, 5:00-9:00 pm
November 8 Placement Test for Class of 2019 (current 8th graders), 7:45 am-12:00 noon
November 18 Parent Information Evening, BGHS welcomes Dr. Devorah Heitner. Dr. Heitner offers insights on growing up in a connected world. 7:00 pm, Theater.
DISTRICT 214 CALENDAR
October 27 Institute Day - Students Not in Attendance
October 28 2nd Quarter Begins
November 26 Non-Attendance Day - No School
November 27 & 28 Thanksgiving Vacation - No School
December 19 Winter Vacation Begins at Close of Classes
January 5 First Day of Classes after Winter Vacation
January 16 End of First Semester
Back Those Bison - Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the coming week
October 24 & 25 Girls Tennis State
October 24 Boys Soccer at Regionals, 4:00 pm, Stadium
October 25 Boys & Girls Cross Country at Regionals (Time/Location TBA)
October 26 District 214 Honors Orchestra Concert, 3:00 pm, Theater
October 28 Boys Soccer at Sectionals (Time/Location TBA)
October 28 Girls Volleyball at Regionals, 6:30 pm, at Stevenson H.S.
October 28 District 21 & 214 Orchestra Festival, 7:00 pm, Theater
October 30 Girls Volleyball at Regionals (Time/Location TBA)
October 31 Boys Soccer at Sectionals, Semi-Finals (Time/Location TBA)
October 31 & November 1 Girls Swimming/Diving at Conference (Time/Locations TBA)
November 1 Boys & Girls Cross Country at Sectionals (Time/Location TBA)
November 1 31st Annual Pops Concert, 7:30 pm, Gym
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for B.G. activities, please go to: http://il.8to18.com/buffalogrove/calendar
BG in the news
Volleyball Fight On For Fuges
Daily Announcements Link
Buffalo Grove High School provides daily announcements to the students to keep them informed of current and upcoming events. To provide you with more information, the Student Announcements are now online. The announcements will be online for 10 days.
1. What is your name? Kate Hutchinson
2. What department do you teach in/ what courses do you teach? English/Fine Arts. Lately I’ve been teaching Sophomore World Literature and Contemporary Literature, a senior elective.
3. How long have you been teaching at BG? This is my 29th year.
4. Where did you go to high school? Elk Grove High School. I’m much more blue than green by now, though!
5. What part of teaching to you find the most rewarding? The day-to-day interactions with the students are what keep me passionate about coming here every day. Reading inspiring literature with a class and then having a thoughtful, in-depth discussion about the issues it presents – this brings me joy. Every class is different, and each student brings a unique perspective to the room.
6. What is something unique about you? I watch no TV at all. (Really!) And I’m probably the only teacher who helps in the school mailroom now and then, along with my son Ramon, who has a disability.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? This is the first year I haven’t been involved with activities in my long career as a Bison. From 2000 until last year, I served as Fine and Performing Arts Coordinator; prior to that, I also directed plays and the annual Variety Show, and I coached the Speech Team.