Friday Focus - Robotics High Milage Car Competition
The High Mileage Vehicle (HMV) Competition is run by the Wisconsin Energy Efficient Vehicle Association that is a statewide program that brings attention to the environmental problems of conventional cars and demonstrates the viability of alternative transportation methods such as electric vehicles and/or higher mileage. The students must design, build and test a small vehicle from scratch. They use a small 6 horsepower engine to power the vehicle. The competition is held at Road America race track in Wisconsin. This is the first year that BG competed in the competition. Overall we achieved 255 Miles Per Gallon. Although not a winning number, it is very respectable for a first year team.
Rotary Club Host Family Consideration
The Rotary Club of Buffalo Grove is looking for three host families for the next school year to host a girl from Chile for a period of 3 1/2 months each. She will attend Buffalo Grove High School, is fluent in English and has many interests, including dance. It is a rewarding experience to host a student from another culture! Please contact Martha Weiss for more information: email@example.com, or 847.226.9200.
BGPA Communication and Link
Post Prom Spectacular 2015!! Join your friends at Pinstripes in Northbrook. Relax and enjoy the rest of the evening with your friends playing bocce ball, bowling, listening to music, or just hanging out by the fire pits. Photo booth fun along with delicious snacks will complete your evening! This event is sponsored and subsidized by the BGPA. Don’t forget about our safe and fun Post-Prom event!!
NEXT BGPA Meeting - Wednesday, May 20 - 6:00 pm (this will be the last one for this year)
DISTRICT 214 CALENDAR
May 25 Memorial Day - No School
May 31 Commencement Exercises
June 5 Last Day of Classes
Upcoming Dates/ Big Events Semester 2
Principal’s Awards Ceremony, May 18, 7:30 pm, Gym
Senior Finals - Friday, May 22, and Tuesday, May 26
Back Those Bison - Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the coming week
May 15 & 16 Bass Fishing - Badminton - Boys Gymnastics at State !!!!
May 15 & 16 Boys Tennis at Conference, Rolling Meadows HS
May 15 Girls Softball vs. Wheeling, 4:30 pm, Softball Field
May 15 Girls Track & Field at Sectionals, Fremd HS
May 15 Boys Track & Field at Conference, Prospect HS
May 16 Girls Softball vs. Rolling Meadows, 11:00 am, Softball Field
May 18 Boys Baseball vs. Hoffman Estates, 5:00 pm, Baseball Field
May 19 Boys Tennis vs. Marmion, Lake Zurich, St. Viator, 4:00, Tennis Courts
May 19 Spring Choral Concert, 7:00 pm, Theater
May 20 Jazz Band Concert, 7:00 pm, Theater
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for B.G. activities, please go to: http://il.8to18.com/buffalogrove/calendar
Daily Announcements Link
Buffalo Grove High School provides daily announcements to the students to keep them informed of current and upcoming events. To provide you with more information, the Student Announcements are now online. The announcements will be online for 10 days.
BG in the news
BG Exchange Student Danny Moya
Buck the Therapy Dog
1. What is your name? Sean Murrin
2. What department do you teach in/ what courses do you teach? I teach in the CTE Department (Career and Technical Education.) This year I am teaching Auto Systems, Diagnostic Auto, and PLTW-IED. Next year I will be co-teaching the Geometry in Construction class with Brian Foecking as well as Auto System, Diagnostic Auto and Vocational Auto.
3. How long have you been teaching at BG? I am enjoying my 16th year at BG and my 21st year in education.
4. Where did you go to high school? Penn Hills Senior High (Western Pennsylvania)
5. What part of teaching to you find the most rewarding? I love the light bulb effect. It’s when a student suddenly understands the concept that you are trying to teach: especially if the student has been struggling to figure it out. It is like a switch turning on a light. You can see the student thinking about it and then…the face lights up and you know they just got it.
6. What is something unique about you? I was on an episode of America’s Funniest Home Video back in the early 90’s.
7. What activities or clubs do you coach/ sponsor? I am involved with Robotics, Auto Club, and the High Mileage Vehicle Competition