Congratulations to National Merit Semifinalist Nicholas Castaneda and our 22 National Merit Commended Scholars: Alexander Archie, Catherine Cabrera, Kelly Duong, Allison Feder, Nathan Finkelshteyn, Laurel Hart, Sydney Jackson, Nathaniel Leichsenring,
David Lender, Jasmine Luethy, Connor MacMahon, Sriman Narayanan, Tyler Oddo, Stephanie Panzica, Alannah Rodrigues, Sanskar Siddharth, Rachel Sowa, Isaac Wahout, Martin Waz, Anna Wymoczyl, David Yoon, Laurynas Zavistanavicius. Nicholas Castaneda, Cahterine Cabrera, and Annabelle McCombs were also recognized as National Hispanic Scholars. These outstanding students were recognized this week at the National Merit Breakfast.
The Bison Impact:
- Congratulations to our very own Orchestra Director, Ms. Elizabeth Bennett, named a 2020 Grammy Music Educator Semifinalist! She is one of only twenty-five semifinalists in the country from over 3,300 initial nominations and the only one from the State of Illinois! We are very proud of you!
- Congrats to Volleyball players Megan Mitsunaga and Shannon Coglianese for being selected to the MSL All-Conference team!
- Congratulations to our Bison Pride Marching Band on finishing in fourth place with a score of 79.5 (a fifteen point jump from last week!) at the Sandwich Music Fest. A great end to their third competitive season!
- Congratulations to science teacher Stephanie O’Neill who received the Award of Excellence in the 2019-20 Illinois State Board of Education Those Who Excel education awards program last Saturday in Bloomington. The level of Excellence is the highest level for this award.
- Congratulations to Golfer Dori Lee on finishing 12th out of 112 golfers in 3A State Golf Finals. An excellent season with a fantastic finish.
- Congratulations to Varsity Girls Swimming on placing 4th at the Stevenson Invite against some great teams in the state!
- Congratulations to Boys Cross Country conference medalists senior Grant Wasielewski and Sophomore Tyler Matsuda! Congrats to the team on their 7th place finish.
- The BGHS Elevate students flooded the halls of Cooper Middle School yesterday to present on "Mood & Mindset" to Cooper Middle School students.
- BGHS Education Academy students are wrapping up their first teaching rotations. Thank you to the partnering teachers, schools and the amazing students who welcomed them into their classrooms.
Back Those Bison!
Varsity Home Sports and Fine Arts for the Coming Week
For underlevel and away sporting events and the most current information for BGHS activities, please go to: Buffalo Grove High School Comprehensive Calendar
Attention Juniors, Seniors and Parents! Representatives from the following schools will be on campus to meet with students next week. Please pick up a pass from the College and Career Center to meet with a representative.
BGHS in the News
Boys soccer: Buffalo Grove turns the tables on Wheeling
The Daily Herald, October 22, 2019
When Buffalo Grove's boys soccer team dropped a heartbreaking 2-1 game to Wheeling in the regular-season finale, it would dash the hopes of a second consecutive Mid-Suburban East title for the Bison. Tuesday night at BG's Grant Blaney Stadium, the Bison (11-7-2) would avenge that loss with a 3-0 victory to end the Wildcats' season (10-6-5) while sending themselves into their own Class 3A regional final Saturday at 6 p.m. against Barrington. Read Story
Looking for More?
Click Here for BGHS’s Daily Announcements
Click Here for the Second Quarter Parent Newsletter
Click Here for BG's student newspaper, The Charger
Click Here for The oneBG Podcast
Click Here for One Grove Gallery exhibits and information
Click Here for the detailed daily BG Activity/Athletics Calendar
1. What is your name? Mary Ryan
2. What department do you work in/ How long have you been at BG? I teach in the SS/WL Department. I have taught at BGHS since 2004.
3. Where did you go to high school? I graduated from St. Benedict High School in Chicago.
4. What part of working at BGHS do you find the most rewarding? When I hear a student say, "wow, class went by fast". 😁
5. What is something unique about you? I was the first in my family to attend college.
6. What are you currently reading, and/ or do you have a favorite author or podcast? I am currently reading, The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir by Samantha Power.
7. How would you describe the culture of Buffalo Grove High School? I am extremely grateful to be a member of the BG Family. Relationships come before everything at BG. I feel that the staff and students work together to build a positive school environment that fosters growth academically and socially.